Sunday, May 31, 2009

Puppies, Spay and Neuter Problems Continue, Adoption Issues...Yup Another Week at the Rescue!

Well, we're wrapping up another week here at PAWS and what a week it's been! First off, let me get to the cute! Sadie's nine pups are doing fantastically and are growing well. Sadie has been such a great mom - we haven't even had to supplement the puppies with formula. She's also bounced back very well from the birth. They turned a week old on Friday! At this point of their development, their eyes have not yet opened and they are still unable to hear. We should be seeing them open their eyes in the next week or two with the ears shortly after! Without further ado, pictures of the little babies:



Sadie is doing very well with me coming and looking at her puppies. She got a little nervous when I was holding the black and white one, so I was unable to get a picture of him...didn't want to stress mama out!

What started out a mostly quiet week, most certainly did not end that way. Wednesday, we received an email from someone who was supposed to have an adoption finalized this Sunday. They had discussed it as a family and had too many reservations about the dog to be comfortable with the adoption and chose not to go through with it. While it was disappointing that we did not find the dog a forever home, I know I am appreciative of the family for being honest enough with themselves (and us!) and not going through with the adoption. It is a much better option than going through with the adoption only to regret it and potentially return the dog.

Thursday we were supposed to have four dogs spayed and neutered. None of these things happened. Two dogs came down kennel cough and it was recommended they not be neutered until they had been on antibiotics for a couple weeks. One dog had something going on with her ears and the other had a bit of an upset stomach and it was advised he not be neutered. So, we're back to being behind getting some of the dogs fixed. Hopefully things will clear up nicely and we can get them in as soon as they rebound. The dog with the upset stomach is back to normal and everyone else is well on their way to recovery.

Thursday night, I also went out to meet a potential new foster dog. What I knew about him was he was a Pomeranian who needed rehoming and had some problems with the kids in the house. Having a soft spot for Poms (my current foster is a 14 year old Pom), I agreed to go out and meet the dog and potentially take him in as a foster. So, off I went to go meet the dog and his family!

I showed up and was welcomed by his family - all of whom were very nice. Unfortunately, the dog was not appreciative of my presence. Every attempt I made to get close to him ended in him either gnawing on me, going after my legs, or some serious growling. I've never had a dog be that aggressive towards me, nevermind a Pomeranian. It saddened to tell the family that we would be unable to help at this time - we just don't have the resources available at this time to give him the type of training and help he needs. He was very sweet with his family, but he would try to bite anyone who came near them. Living in a populated area with no yard, he could not come live with me since he couldn't be trusted out on a walk. We also would not be able to bring him to adoption events with the behaviors he is showing.

Not having the resources to help a dog who needs it is certainly one of the harder parts of rescue work. I had to remind myself (and have some of our board members remind me) that we can't save them all...as much as we'd like to. I hope things work out for this little guy. He shows promise, but will need some intense work with a trainer to turn around. I've definitely been thinking about him since Thursday.

Saturday morning, the lovely folks at Bark 'n Bubbles and All Friends Pet Care held the first K-92k and Doggie Expo. They were gracious enough to invite us to sell prepackaged food and drinks to the participants. Thank you to Bark 'n Bubbles and All Friends for thinking of us! Every little bit certainly helps when it comes to fundraising. During the event, I ran into one of our past puppies who went home a couple weeks ago. She's doing great and getting big!

We also had a FANTASTIC adoption event on Saturday and now have seven dogs pending adoption. Reggie, Al, Angel, Blue, Docky, Red, and Rusty (the puppy) all had great applications and will hopefully be going home within the next week or two. Thanks to the Sterling PetSmart and to everyone who came out to see us! As always, a HUGE thank you to all of our volunteers for your help this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment